Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Elderly Challenge - Observation 1

Hi all.

Today I am telling you about the elderly challenge and things that are related to them.

I am supposed to do this tomorrow but I am not free tomorrow so I done it today.

I will also do it every Wednesday during the june holidays. It might be earlier or later if on that day, I happen to not be free.

I will be talking about how the elderly get around in Yew Tee as it is my neighborhood.

Today I am talking more about Yew Tee MRT Station as well as Yew Tee square.



To get to the MRT station, people usually come from this traffic light. (below)




After they cross it to the side of the MRT station, they will see this flight of steps. (below)





It will be difficult for elderly to walk up as some of them might have pin in the legs, knee as well as those in a wheelchair. There is a ramp (below) to go up but it is located further down the path. Newcomers will not know that it is there unless they went to explore the area.



A solution is to build another ramp beside the staircase so it could be seen easily.

Near this ramp is the taxi stand and a bus stop. The taxi stand has a ramp ( below) for the people to use if they need to push things or use a wheelchair. The bus stop is use by service 307, which passes by a polyclinic ( the picture below the taxi stand ramp, look in the red box) so it is easier for elderly if they are sick or injured. The service also has wheelchair busses, which allows up to 2 wheelchairs on the bus.





Once a person moves up the ramp that leads to the MRT Station, there is a path ( Below ) that goes to the MRT wider gantry and then to the lift in the MRT Station.







At the MRT Station, most of the shops have slopes (below) so it is easy for an elderly to enter it.







So the only problem lies with the steps and no ramps that can be clearly seen.

Thank you.

Remember to check out this blog next Wednesday to see my next observation.


No comments:

Post a Comment